Re: Making a private lib for linking

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 01:23, James Henstridge wrote:

> It is probably a bug in your makefiles and/or configure script.  Other
> packages such as Pango build fine with the newer libtool.

I think it is a bug in Medusa's configure.in.

Pango is a bad example, it never uses 'LDFLAGS = -static', to build
Nautilus and Medusa jhbuild pulled a lot of modules, but only

./ORBit2/test/everything/Makefile.am
./medusa/medusa-idled/Makefile.am

contain this command.  ORBit2 does not have AM_DISABLE_STATIC in
its configure.in.  I note ORBit2's libtool script made by autogen.sh
contains 'build_old_libs=yes' which is the switch that Medusa needs to
make libmedusa-idle.a from the the client object.  By following ORBit2's
example (no AM_DISABLE_STATIC), Medusa compiles by hand, and by jhbuild
without tinckering.

So I think this is a mistake from Medusa's past.  From it's inception,
Medusa was thought of as a library that applications like Evolution
would want to link to.  It really doesn't have such a function now.

> The AM_DISABLE_STATIC macro does exactly the same thing as
> AC_DISABLE_STATIC (in fact it just calls the AC_ version).  These macros
> just make --disable-static the default (rather than --enable-static).
> So this is not very likely to be the problem.

Is there a preference for AC_, the newer, versus, AM_ the older?

> One other thing to try is building from a clean source tree --
> libtool-1.5 handles .lo files in a different way to 1.4.x, so if you
> have any .lo files left over from a previous build, they could be
> causing problems.

I did.  New checkout, And I tried it as a new user too.  That clued me
in that this problem was not related to jhbuild.  Unless someone can
give good reason, I don't think I should restore AM_DISABLE_STATIC to
configure.in.  The idle daemon in an anachronism from Medusa's days as a
system app anyway.  It'll be reworked/phased out in time.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.