Immediate window update

I have tried the following two methods to obtain an immediate update of a window after a dialog box (that was partially covering the window) has been closed:

  /* Method 1 */
  while ( gtk_events_pending() )
     gtk_main_iteration();

  /* Method 2 */
  imax = 10;
  for ( i=1; i<=imax; i++ )
     gtk_main_iteration();

I found that Method 1 does not work (to the extent of my testing) but that Method 2 always works (to the extent of my testing) if imax >= 7. This seems to say that the gtk_events_pending function does not find all pending events. I have also tried using gnome_canvas_update_now, but it is not successful.

Is there another method that does not rely on the somewhat arbitrary choice of a value for imax? Any other comments?

Thanks.