RE: Direction 2.x is heading

GNOME2 does not force you to use any particular window manager. If it seems
to in practice then it's a bug.

> The change that has been made is not so much a change in
> functionality, but a change in emphasis and focus.

What do you have against good defaults?

> So, when neither Afterstep nor Windowmaker would work with
> Gnome 2.2 (the session manager started the window manager,
> but froze there and would not start anything else when I set
> the WINDOW_MANGER var)

That sounds like a bug. Please report it in bugzilla. You can't seriously
think that a frozen desktop is what we want.

> I urge the developers and those steering Gnome to bring it
> back to its roots.  Embrace the other window managers and
> treat them as the valued partners they were at one time.

There is no problem. As I understand it, the other window managers have been
embraced by creating a shared spec that they can all implement to work fully
with GNOME. And as I understand it, all window managers should work with
GNOME now mostly even if they don't implement the full spec.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com