Re: gnome-vfs/GIOChannel for parsing

mån 2003-03-03 klockan 12.32 skrev Michael Meeks:
> On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 17:28, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:12:46AM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > > [1] - and yes I know you can point to a list with millions of lines of
> > >       discussion about twigs - while people are burning great chunks of
> > >       forest elsewhere undiscussed.
> >
> > You decided you don't like cross-desktop specs and don't care about
> > GTK.  So you aren't reading gtk-devel-list, you aren't reading
> > xdg-list, you aren't reading bugzilla mail for GTK, etc.  Then you
> > complain about how you don't know what's going on in these areas.
>
> 	Wait - you decided I don't like cross-desktop specs, etc.
>
> 	I was rather hoping that decisions that affect Gnome dramatically,
> particularly in the region of IPC - which you may notice I've been
> slogging my guts out making work for the last several years - _might_ be
> discussed / mentioned / pointed out to me on a _GNOME_ list.

That's because there has been no descission taken that D-BUS is going to
replace anything or even be part of GNOME in the future. Lots of people
seems to want it to be part of GNOME but there has been no descission
taken from anywhere that it is going in.

I'm pretty sure that those involved in D-BUS development has waited with
announcing it until they have some code to back things up. No point in
discussing things that doesn't exist since that would only lead to "it
will never be stable, it will never work, ..."-kinda arguments which
doesn't help anyone.

Now they have code that works, it's not finished, it's not optimized,
it's not bug free but it's there and got a great deal of momentum. Lots
of people seems to be interested in it for various reasons.

Might it be that they think bonobo/CORBA is not the right technical
reason, that they think it's the right way to go in regards of better
interop with KDE (and others), that they just like the name, that they
don't know better, or whatever I don't know. But since lots of people
are really excited about it does at least in my eyes say that there are
something lacking in our current platform. (and by lacking I mean that
it can also be that what we do have is too complex, or too hard to work
with).

*Please* be level headed about this discussion, otherwise it will just
be a long thread that takes us nowhere.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal
--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/