Re: gnome-vfs/GIOChannel for parsing

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:32:39AM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	I spot a more acute relational breakdown here than I had suspected.
> Reading the gtk+-devel list archive for the last few days demonstrates
> otherwise - you're being unreasonable. It's true there are ~3k unread
> mails in my gtk+ folder - but I was mostly hoping to hack on Gnome.
> People shying from the archive, might remember me participating in the
> file selector design discussion in Boston - hopefully to some lasting
> effect.

You gave some views on the filesel in Boston, sure. So did I. Neither
of our views is the same as what's in the current writeup, which
*everyone else knew about* and *is participating in the discussion
of*.

Some of them may have seen where I highlighted the gtk discussion on
desktop-devel-list (though there's no reason I should have to):
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-February/msg00045.html

And of course you didn't contribute a single mail to the technical
discussion, that I can remember, but you did post this:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-February/msg00148.html

> 	I'm thinking of big sweep direction, not feature addition - strategy.
> eg. "writing Bonobo out of Gnome" - the things that are not on the
> web-pages that I have read.

 - because that has nothing to do with GTK+ whatsoever
 - because I'm not going to start a big flamewar about Bonobo
   for no good reason

I have always been totally upfront with you on what I thought was the
right thing. Last time I was considering the technical issue of
component technology, oh say nearly 2 years ago, I shared my views
with you prior to posting them publicly. Just caused me this giant
pain in the butt:
 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gconf-list/2001-June/msg00062.html

You can't accept any technical opinion without flaming the messenger.
Thus, people don't go out of their way to talk to you. Not so
surprising.

There's always some excuse with you: you are hearing about vaporware
before it's ready (Hub), you are hearing about half-done-ware after
it's started (D-BUS), you are not getting personally CC'd on the
conversations (GTK+), whatever it is today.

I've tried to share things with you before, we've told you about
Bonobo reentrancy/lifecycle problems in person in Raleigh before,
etc. You do not listen. You do not fix. You flame. You have excuses. I
have stopped caring and am just trying to fix the software.

Everyone has a right to work on what they think is the best thing.

Havoc