Re: gnome-vfs/GIOChannel for parsing

Hi Havoc,

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 15:15, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I have always been totally upfront with you on what I thought was the
> right thing. Last time I was considering the technical issue of
> component technology, oh say nearly 2 years ago, I shared my views
> with you prior to posting them publicly. Just caused me this giant
> pain in the butt:
>  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gconf-list/2001-June/msg00062.html
>
> You can't accept any technical opinion without flaming the messenger.
> Thus, people don't go out of their way to talk to you. Not so
> surprising.

	Well - quite possibly this is all true; it's interesting to hear your
perspective. I was appalled at that GUADEC to discover the missing  key
that was concealed behind the pseudo-technical arguments you were making
- which was that you thought that CORBA was not the future.

	Since I had never heard that before, and had no idea that that was your
considered stance - this was somewhat staggering to me. While apparently
you hadn't made this public - it was the only defensible foundation of
your lengthy argumentation and strategy wrt. GConf.

	So from my perspective it concerns me that this may happen again, and
as unpleasant as people's opinions often are - they are better shared /
debated / consensusdized than kept to oneself.

> There's always some excuse with you: you are hearing about vaporware
> before it's ready (Hub), you are hearing about half-done-ware after
> it's started (D-BUS), you are not getting personally CC'd on the
> conversations (GTK+), whatever it is today.

	I forget which gtk+ conversations that I've not been personally CC'd
on. The only scenario that I'm worried about currently is:

	Gconf re-written to use D/BUS
	Gtk+ adds GConf dependency [a pretty appalling possibility]
	Gnome adopts D/BUS by the back door.

	and hey - perhaps that's a good thing; who knows - we need a
configuration system we can use from gtk+ - what galls me is the timing,
and lack of clarity that we (I) now have.

> I've tried to share things with you before, we've told you about
> Bonobo reentrancy/lifecycle problems in person in Raleigh before,
> etc. You do not listen. You do not fix. You flame. You have excuses. I
> have stopped caring and am just trying to fix the software.
>
> Everyone has a right to work on what they think is the best thing.

	I was mostly hoping we would build a community, where everyone would
not be a bunch of individuals pulling in different directions, but a
team working with common goals, amity and accountability to each other -
if I'm causing that not to happen, then that is very serious indeed for
the whole Gnome project. My feeling is there is probably fault on both
sides - I get no joy from being embroiled in pain.

	Regards,

		Michael.