Re: Deciding whether we're running under Gnome

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 06:32:27AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> How can a program such as Emacs decide whether the user is currently
> using Gnome or not ?  Emacs is not itself a Gnome application, but
> it would be good for it to try and obey the user's Gnome settings
> when applicable, but the user's Gnome setting should obviously not
> be obeyed if the user is currently running KDE or yet-something-else.

The way we need to do this is that
GTK, Qt, and Emacs should both obey settings stored on the display,
e.g. with XSETTINGS.
See http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/xsettings.html

Emacs in CVS uses GTK though, so you can do it a lot simpler and just
copy the colors etc. from GTK.

Havoc