Re: Gnome development thinking!

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 20:44, Henrik Brink wrote:
> tir, 2003-09-02 kl. 11:38 skrev Michael Meeks:
> > Hi Henrik,
> >
> > On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 12:09, Henrik Brink wrote:
> > > Why is the development-process so (relatively) hard to join? I shouldn't
> > > contact you to say that I want to help out. It should be an obvious
> > > thing!
> >
> > 	:-) I think a good driver for development is solving problems you
> > personally have an interest in - that should lead you to one particular
> > project eg. D/BUS or OpenOffice.org - and you contact people, read the
> > code and get stuck in.
>
> Yes, I can see what you mean. As you've probably guessed, I have no
> experience in Gnome coding, and I just thought I would make a proposal
> for every aspect og the Gnome development.
> I still want better translation, and then I'll have to join every
> project that doesn't have danish translation. I know a couple of people,
> including myself, that could do these translations very easy if there
> wasn't so much work, just to contact people etc.
> Many new people will feel the same way, and better translation will mean
> more Gnome-users and so on.

I think you have misunderstood how translations are done in GNOME -- it
is a more centralised process than you suspect. The translators are
organised into teams (one team per language) which coordinate the
translation of all GNOME projects into their language.

If you are interested in translating applications, you only need to join
the gnome-i18n list and also track down the Danish translation team and
join them. There is no need to join every project just to get the
translations done and the communications load you are worried about is
not that great (basically you need to coordinate with your language team
and monitor the i18n list).

Have a look at http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/join.html for
more information about this.

Cheers,