Re: druid question

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 08:38:49PM -0500, Alex Roitman wrote:

> The inability to set the packing properties from the top level seems like
> a deficiency to me. Should I file an enhancement bug, or am I missing
> something obvious?

Some insights I got from the source:

in libgnomeui-2.6.1.1/libgnomeui/gnome-druid-page-standard.c
inside the gnome_druid_page_standard_append_item function:

[first packing a vbox for a set of (question,item,additional_info) into a page]
        /* Create the vbox to hold the three new items */
        vbox = gtk_vbox_new (FALSE, 4);
        gtk_box_pack_start (GTK_BOX (druid_page_standard->vbox), vbox, FALSE, FALSE, 0);
        gtk_widget_show (vbox);

[and similarly packing the item itself into a vbox]
        /* Append/show the item */
        gtk_box_pack_start (GTK_BOX (vbox), item, FALSE, FALSE, 0);
        gtk_widget_show (item);

In both cases, the EXPAND and FILL are hard-coded to FALSE, with no
methods to change this.

Another interesting thing is that the packing defaults would be TRUE for
both properties, so this is really going against the defaults without
the way to revert this behavior.

Does this seem like enough grounds for filing a bug? Should I ask for changing
the packing to the defaults, or should I ask for means to affect the packing?

Seems to be a dilemma between breaking existing druid pages (if the FALSE
is changed to TRUE) and headaches with adding new API (another couple
of argument to gnome_druid_page_standard_append_item() or a method to
change the packing or something like the
gnome_druid_page_standard_append_item_default_packing() function).

I would greatly appreciate some good advice :-)

Thanks,
Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://ebner.neuroscience.umn.edu/people/alex.html
Dept. of Neuroscience, Lions Research Building