Re: libart_lgpl + glib: possible?

A Seg, 2004-03-15 às 09:45, Alexander Larsson escreveu:
> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 23:03, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> >   There is a problem with libart as it is.  It is not language-binding
> > friendly, since none of its types are GType registered.
> >
> >   In gnome-python we have come accross this problem more than once.
> > First with the gnomeprint bindings, now also users complain that they
> > cannot use gnome.canvas.BPath, because the 'bpath' property is of type
> > pointer.
> >
> >   We desperately need to add a glib dependency to libart_lgpl.  Will
> > that be a problem?  Or is it nothing but another political war?
>
> libart is not in active development anymore, and is scheduled for
> replacement by Cairo. The numerical stability issues in libart make it
> to not a good base for future graphical library work.

  Glad to hear that.  However, exactly when will Cairo replace libart?
If in gnome 2.8, then I'll forget about it.  If later, I think it's
worth it, if the gnome community accepts it.  I have most code ready and
everything, because of gnomeprint python bindings...

  Anyway, doesn't the API compatibility requirement prevent libart from
ever being removed until gnome 3.0?

  Thanks, and regards.

--
Gustavo João Alves Marques Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.