Re: To Discuss: Application Startup Time

Jody Goldberg wrote:
> I don't see that helping enourmously.  Apps are going to be looking
> up icons on startup, so we end up doing a fair number of stats on
> the critical path.

Yes, but the current bug is due to all apps doing thousands (!) of
stats on the critical path.  Any reduction is fine, it doesn't need to
be an algorithmically optimal solution.  There are severe maintenance
problems with on-disk indexing that need to be weighed as well.

Again, I'm not the developer who'll be doing the work.  But I would
strongly recommend that the simple solution be tried first, before
getting fancy.  Fancy (and premature) optimization is what caused this
performance bug in the first place.

Andy