Re: Gnome 2.6: What were you thinking?

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 20:30 -0500, William Michael Grim wrote:
> Actually, yes, that is related to my gripes I had.  It wasn't just
> heear-say though, as I was using gnome 2.6 on my friend's system for a
> little bit, deciding if I should upgrade.  It was very non-obvious how to
> get nautilus to work like it did in 2.4; from the best we could tell, this
> feature had been removed.
>
> I'm sorry for my previously angry letter; it was stupid.  But yeah, I
> haven't upgrade to 2.6 because of mainly this reason.

Two things when using spatial nautilus help immensely: 1.) There is
shift+double-click to open a new window and close the current one, and
2.) Make sure the statusbar is visible (to get the little parent-folder
menu thing).

If you absolutely cannot use it, there is also the "browse" item in the
"Applications" menu, as well as the "always_use_browser" gconf key. As
of a couple hours ago on IRC, the developers were discussing adding a
GUI for that key.

With that said, the difference between the two is this: When I want to
*manage* files, spatial nautilus rules. It's so much nicer to handle
moving things around, renaming, making dirs, *opening files*, etc. I
emphasize "opening files" because that activity was simply too slow to
use the nautilus browser for, whereas it's actually possible to use
spatial nautilus for that.

When I want to *browse* around for files, then (unsurprisingly) the
browser works better.

People don't often test the file manager by actually managing files, but
rather by browsing around. They then conclude that spatial nautilus
"sucks" compared to the browser -- when it has only been tested at the
task of browsing.

However, browsing around is not what I (or most other people I've seen
use a file manager) use the file manager for -- I use it for
opening/moving/renaming  files I already know about, a task it is
well-suited for.

--
Peace (from NIU),

    Jim Cape
    http://ignore-your.tv

    "We still name our military helicopter gunships after victims
     of genocide. Nobody bats an eyelash about that: Blackhawk.
     Apache. And Comanche. If the Luftwaffe named its military
     helicopters Jew and Gypsy, I suppose people would notice."
       -- Noam Chomsky, "Propaganda and the Public Mind"