Re: Updates to authors examples?

Dnia 29-10-2004, pią o godzinie 14:59 -0500, Eckhoff, Michael A napisał:
> Peter Wright's text http://www.linux.ie/articles/reviews/gnome.php
> is pretty good but outdated. For example, I've been going through
> Chapter 15 and am having difficulty transcribing certain commands,
> like these in canvas6.c:
>      gtk_widget_push_visual ( gdk_imlib_get_visual () );
>      gtk_widget_push_colormap ( gdk_imlib_get_colormap () );
>
> The compiler gags on the functions gdk_imlib_* .
> I'm guessing that gdk_imlib_get_colormap has been replaced with
> gdk_image_get_colormap, but as to the other I can't say.
> The GDK Reference Manual is of little help; it seems to me the only way
> to learn how to use these libraries is by example.

I can't help you with that specific example, but I can say that most of
*_imlib_* functions were replaced by gdk-pixbuf. Also,
gtk_widget_push/pop_visual() were deprecated, and are NOPs in current
gtk code. I seem to recall significant refactoring in visual handling
after imlib has been dropped, there should be at least mention of it in
"Changes from previous versions" chapter of GTK+ reference guide,
available from gtk.org:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/migrating.html

(Btw, you'll be *VERY* happy if you install devhelp, and as much books
for it as you can find. Particularly, almost all gtk-related code is
documented in using gtk-doc, which produces devhelp books as its output.
This is the same what you can see on website, but devhelp makes use of
index, allowing you to very effectively search. Whatever your examples
you talk about below will contain, please mention devhelp in the first
place, and libglade in the second, ok? :)

> Thus my question:
> Has anybody upgraded the examples in Wright's book, or those of Havoc
> Pennington and John Sheets http://developer.gnome.org/doc/books/ ?
> Wright's code is under GFDL, though I'm not sure of the others.

Other than Matthias's book, which you already have, I don't know of any
comprehensive monolithic material treating GNOME2 platform. You're
basically left with whatever google returns, plus if you can afford
that, dropping by IRC channel #gnome-hackers irc freenode net is usually
good idea :)

> If not, I'll gladly get the ball rolling so long as members of the
> appropriate list are willing to suffer my many questions. Newbies like
> me would be thrilled to have a good collection of sample code (along with
> Makefiles!) which are quickly and easily downloaded.

Yes, please :). As long as you are motivated to do so, you can be almost
sure to get any help it takes here on list, or else on channel. Having
easily available examples would be very good thing, needless to say :)

> By the way, I learned of GNOME this past March when I found myself in need
> of a GUI for some scientific applications. I had been using Matlab, which
> was easy enough to learn, but when time came to delve into GUIDE (their
> GLADE) it occured to me that it was now time to look into Open Source.
> Totally unbiased, I gravitated toward GNOME as I happily googled away.

Cool. I hope you enjoy the principles & philosophy of GNOME, as well as
its quality, don't you? :)

Cheers,
Maciej

--