Re: gnome-keyring as part of GNOME Platform?

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 22:14 +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all, hello everybody, as this is my first message to the list.
> I'm not sure if this list is the right one to ask this question, so I'm assuming
> it is ok; please forgive me if it's not.
>
> The libgnomeui package requires gnome-keyring to build.  However, the
> later is part of the Desktop "block" and the former belongs to the Platform.
> As I see it, the Platform should be self-contained, and not depend on
> packages from the Desktop.  Am I wrong?

That is not true. The Platform does depend on many things that are not
in the platform (such as libc, libpng, etc). What classifies something
as a platform library is that the API is in a public stable form that we
recommend third party apps to use.

> If not, should gnome-keyring be changed to be part of the Platform?

gnome-keyring has been with us for a while, so maybe in the next release
we should consider moving it to a platform library.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an all-American vegetarian card sharp with a winning smile and a way with
the ladies. She's a sharp-shooting streetsmart Hell's Angel with someone
else's memories. They fight crime!