Re: Is there someone working on a gnome_help_display replacement?

Can't GTK send out a message (using dbus) that it has a help file that
needs to be opened. Then the program listening for this event will take
care of the rest. (it will look at the mime type and open the correct
program). Something similar for uri's.

Or you could tell GTK to read a ENV variable containing a program it has
to start, that will handle uri's and files.

For example export opener="gnome-uri-opener".
This will make GTK  start:

# gnome-uri-opener "mailto:foo somewhere"

and the gnome-uri-opener will open the correct program for this uri. The
same thing for files.

Can't this be some secure and transparant way to handle opening files
and uri's?