freedesktop.org compliance, trashcan

Hello,

I am programming a file manager (http://onefinger.sf.net) and I would like to share my trashcan with the one used by gnome. I am running gnome 2.8 on debian sid and I noticed the directory used by gnome as the "home trash directory" is ~/.Trash. This does not seem compliant with the freedesktop.org specification:

  http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html

, according to which the dir should be ~/.local/Trash (since $XDG_DATA_HOME is not defined on my system).

I would like to know your position about this. :-)

Thank you.

Maurizio Colucci