Re: Gnome Color Management

Sam Morris wrote:

Spam wrote:

From what I can tell, X contain support for color management and device (display) color profiles just as Windows and MacOS does. The support is called Xcms (X Color Management System). There is some documentation here http://www.x.org/X11R6.8.2/doc/manindex3.html: Xcms, Xcolor...

Although Xcms seem to have existed for years, there seem to be no applications that support creating, converting, or profiling of ICC profiles under Linux.

I think that Gnome ought to provide tools to use ICC profiles and to support simple profiling (like Adobe Gamma - see attachment). This would reduce one of the barriers professional users have against switching to Linux and Gnome.

KDE support gamma adjustments, but that is in my oppinion not enough. the KDE tool doesn't have any references to what you adjust your gamma to. It only acts like a brightness control.

I feel that there are many issues around Color that many people do not understand. So please before this proposal is dismissed, lets discuss it further. Color is advanced and not at all what most people believe.

Have you see Gnome Color Calibrator? Its homepage is at <http://bitpoetry.com/programs/gnome-color-calibrator/>.

It is quite easy to use, although it doesn't do any ICC stuff and after calibrating my monitor the colours on the screen looked, well, really bad. :)

Gnome Color Calibrator actually is just a gamma tool. Probably good enough for most people though. At least something like this should be included in Gnome. =)

In any case, ICC profiles are much more than just gamma. The ICC profile can tell you what colors the device support (important!), what the dynamic range is and things like this.

Another cool thing to support is color proofing - the emulation of another color profile. This is very useful as it lets you (with some limitation) see how the colors will look like on another target. For example another monitor, a photolab printer etc.

Many monitors has a larger color space/gammut than sRGB. Therefore is color proofing a needed tool if you want to see how your images will look like on the web for other viewers.

~S