Re: [Usability] Allow donations for precise bugs

We appear to be talking about two different street performer protocols.
The one I'm talking about is the protocol outlined by John Kelsey and
Bruce Schneier at http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue4_6/kelsey/ .
Your proposal is very similar to their idea, except that the idea for
creating the {product/patch/feature} comes from a user, rather than a
{programmer/artist/author}.

Their paper also discusses likely problems with the protocol, such as
the author running off with the funds and not delivering (solved by
using escrow). Escrow's also used to handle situations where the
donation level doesn't reach the target.

My question is, what happens when two or more developers say that they
are both willing to do the task? I see one of two things happening:

1. The first developer gets a 'lock' on the task, and nobody else can
say that they'll do it for the money.
2. More than one developer can register an interest, and people can give
their money to whoever they think will do it best.

Option 1 seems a bit unfair to people who feel they can do it faster and
better than the person who got there first, and Option 2 might shift the
focus from the task to the person doing the task (which may or may not
be a good thing).

Also, what if the task is implemented independently? Would the money be
refunded, or would the developer be paid a portion of the funds,
depending on how far s/he'd come along with the patch?

It sounds like an interesting idea :-)

Jon