Re: Followup: opinions on Search services

El mié, 27-04-2005 a las 11:56 -0400, Joe Shaw escribió:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 18:20 -0500, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > We have only one server for all users.  We thus dramatically reduce the
> > load on multiuser systems.
>
> Like I said before, I think you're going to end up spending a ton of
> your time making sure you have the access controls correct,

no, not really.  We will just setuid/setgid to the user in question and
use os.access.  That should work out pretty fine.

>  you'll need
> to get pretty comprehensive security reviews before people ship it, etc.

This is definitely true.  Did not expect it to be any different.

> For Beagle our target has been at the more traditional single-user
> desktop.  We do some throttling based on the load of the machine so that
> in the case of many users we won't bring the system down, but that does
> mean that indexing of data on everyone's system will be slower.  On the
> other hand, generally this is only an issue the first time you ever run
> beagle and briefly at login time, so this is a tradeoff we're willing to
> make.

Not when you need to index a huge amount of data.

--
Manuel Amador <rudd-o amautacorp com>
Amauta