Re: Followup: opinions on Search services

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Peter Wainwright wrote:

> I don't see how you can run a per-user daemon without causing huge
> wastage on a multi-user system.  How does slocate do it? a system-wide
> search that inserts security permissions in a database and then
> respects
> them when responding to queries?  That is probably the way to go, even
> if it is difficult to get right.  You will probably need some separation
> of permissions in the setgid (or setuid) client part to keep the
> dangerous stuff simple.

Right, and that's the main problem with slocate.  Many people do
not know enough about Unix permissions, so the give read access
to everybody in some directories deep in their home.  Admins then
simply decide that not running updatedb is the best choice, for
several reasons...

> Peter Wainwright

--behdad
http://behdad.org/