Why GNOME uses C?

The GNOME Desktop is object oriented? Why it don't use a programming language that support this paradigm???

I talked with a GNOME programmer and one of the reasons that he gives for me is that the objects don't have and specification yet and different compilers generate the code in differentes, but this is not a problem if we use only gcc... there is a major problem in using only gcc...

There is a place where I can find more information about this question... I look in the discussion list, google, gnome site, but don't find anything to answer this question... and if anyone knows other reasons why C is used, tell me please...

Thanks,
Carlos.