Re: mass file delete problem with nautilus ?

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 22:15 +1000, Rod Butcher wrote:
> I've had a problem occurring fairly regularly when I use nautilus to
> empty a lot of ext3 files (1000's) from the wastebasket - after a while
> the disk goes into "read-only" state - cant delete or create any files.
> Yet hdparm shows the disk is still in readwrite mode.
> This problem hasn't occurred using konqueror to delete a similar volume
> of data from the kde wastebasket, nor when the same activity is done
> from the console. This is a heavy duty work disk with high file
> turnover.. so my question is, how do I check whether it is in fact
> nautilus causing this, or some other component it uses, or even my build
> could be wrong (from cvs head) ?
> This is a 120 gig WDC IDE drive. I understand it has smaller buffers
> than other makes such as Seagate.
> thanks
> Rod

When this happens, do you get any errors or warnings in the system logs?
It sounds like ext3 finds a fatal disk error and goes into readonly
mode.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a deeply religious drug-addicted inventor trapped in a world he never
made. She's a radical streetsmart bodyguard prone to fits of savage,
blood-crazed rage. They fight crime!