Re: Should I use gtk-perl or gtk & c for gnome apps ?

Hi,

I'll get down straight to your question:

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 15:33 +1000, Rod Butcher wrote:

> To me both offer rad development cycles and portability. Mandrake have
> gone with perl-gtk for its sysadmin utils - so I suppose I'm asking,
> what does c & gtk offer for guis that gtk-perl can't ?

Glade + C (or C alone) offers some degrees of control over speed and
memory (mostly).

Gtk2-perl (gtk-perl refers to the old Gtk 1.x binding set) offers the
ability to prototype your program way much faster, not only because, by
removing some of the degrees of control that I mentioned above, relieves
you from having to care about leaks and whatever.

Now, what is left to you to decide is whether you can live without those
degrees of control or not. :-)

Anyway, remember that the world is not black and white: you can
effectively create your project in Perl using the Gtk2 module, and then
you could rewrite some of the critical sections in C and get the best of
both worlds.  You could even write a library of GObject-based objects,
bind it as we did for Gtk2, and use it into your Perl program.

Or you could rewrite your program in C after you've come to a complete
design in Perl.

Regards,
 Emmanuele.

--