.Net/Mono and C# in GNOME? Do we really need it?

Hello.

May I ask what is with all the push for C# apps in GNOME?

The main beauty of GNOME is that it is slick and unbloated.
Do we really need to throw a virtual machine in it?

If we really want to develop code in object oriented language, with all
the fancy syntactic sugar, garbage collection etc.
can't we just use D to achieve it?  http://www.digitalmars.com/d/

It has all the cool features of modern languages (like C# or Java):
C like syntax, OOP, nice templating, closures, garbage collected memory
management, dynamic and hashed arrays, real strings, inline assembly,
exceptions, unit tests, direct interface to C, unicode support ... and
many, many more,
with the advantage of producing real ELF objects, that can be linked
with any other objects .archives or .so dynamic libraries (using
standard GCC linker) to produce little, cute binaries that can be run on
REAL hardware, without the need of virtual machine.

--
Tomasz Sterna
Xiaoka Grp.  http://www.xiaoka.com/