Re: Help with autoconf/Gnome directoryies

> You're not doing something "wrong": third party applications should be
> installed in /usr/local as /usr could be set as read-only (as per the
> FHS).

Possibly more importantly, /usr should be solely managed by the package
management system of your distribution, while /usr/local should be
reserved for things you install from source.

And some would say you should never side-step your package manager and
*only* install from packages globally, and install stuff from source in
a user-specific prefix.  But I'm sure opinions differ :)

Thomas