Re: Programmatically showing the gnome panel logout dialog from external program

On 5/15/06, Marek Habersack <grendel caudium net> wrote:

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 04:52:52PM +0100, Calum Benson scribbled:
> On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 17:24 +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
>
> > I saw in the gnome panel sources that it does have a default logout/shutdown
> > timeout of 60s, so that would be done. But I can't figure out how to force
> > gnome panel from an external program to show its logout dialog. I would like
> > to know whether it's possible to do it at all (preferably without modifying
> > the panel sources) and if yes, how do I go to implement that. If it is not
> > possible, then I will probably have to write a small program that will reuse
> > code from the panel to implement what I described above.
>
> Running "gnome-session-save --kill --gui" will cause the GNOME logout
> dialog to appear, perhaps you just need to arrange for that to happen
> after rdesktop has been closed?
Thanks! That's a very good suggestion - simple, efficient and elegant :). I
will do just that, but I  had another thought occur - I need to take
care of the desktops users left logged in in GNOME. Is there any mechanism
in GNOME to start a program after a certain period of idleness, or a
programmatic hook/signal which I can intercept in order to implement auto
logout for idle desktop sessions? I couldn't find anything of that kind in
the docs,

  I know gajim has something to that effect, as most IM clients do.  It seems to use a XScreenSaver extension...

http://trac.gajim.org/browser/trunk/src/common/idle.c

Regards.