Re: .Net/Mono and C# in GNOME? Do we really need it?

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 07:24:30 +0100, Tomasz Sterna wrote:

>Hello.
>
>May I ask what is with all the push for C# apps in GNOME?
>
>The main beauty of GNOME is that it is slick and unbloated.
>Do we really need to throw a virtual machine in it?
>
>If we really want to develop code in object oriented language, with all
>the fancy syntactic sugar, garbage collection etc.
>can't we just use D to achieve it?  http://www.digitalmars.com/d/
>
>It has all the cool features of modern languages (like C# or Java):
>C like syntax, OOP, nice templating, closures, garbage collected memory
>management, dynamic and hashed arrays, real strings, inline assembly,
>exceptions, unit tests, direct interface to C, unicode support ... and
>many, many more,
>with the advantage of producing real ELF objects, that can be linked
>with any other objects .archives or .so dynamic libraries (using
>standard GCC linker) to produce little, cute binaries that can be run on
>REAL hardware, without the need of virtual machine.

Yes, D sounds like a cool language.  Does it have GTK+ bindings?  If you
like it, why not write a "killer app" in it and unleash it on the GNOME
community?

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus