Re: GNOME "Save as" dialog; Keyboard indicator applet

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 16:10 +0000, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> Hello Lumir
>
> > For one of my projects I need to have a standard GNOME keyboard
> > indicator applet loaded automatically after Ubuntu installation process
> > (for the standard user). User can't do this manually, because he will
> > have a limited access to the configuration options (limited to zero
> > :-)). I am looking how to do this. Is there any chance to put the applet
> > to the panel from the command line (gconftool-2 has some options, but
> > until now I don't know how exactly do this). Can you kick me at the
> > right direction, please? :-)
> Unfortunately you cannot add applets from the command line. This is
> one of the most annoying design issues with the current panel
> architecture.
>
> The only solution I can propose would require some hacking - creating
> a notification area application which would embed the indicator widget
> (available from libgnomekbd). It is a low-to-medium complexity task
> for C developer.
>
> Cheers,

Surely this is something that our "User Profile Editor" (sabayon) can
do. You just open a GNOME session in the User Profile Editor, add the
applet to the panel, configure the applet, close the session, and mark
the changes as for every user.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com