Re: gnome-config not found

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Nickolay V. Shmyrev <nshmyrev yandex ru> wrote:

> В Птн, 11/07/2008 в 11:04 -0600, Nitin Jain пишет:
>> Hi!
>> I'm a newbie on this forum as well as to the world of GTK, so
>> apologies for any mistakes in prior.
>> I'm trying to install an old application (from source) that uses GTK
>> and GNOME graphical toolkits - however, while running the configure
>> script, I get a
>> "configure: error: Program gnome-config not found".
>> Browsing uptil now has yielded the info that `gnome-config' used to be
>> a part of `pkg-config' but was axed... so, I am not sure if merely
>> changing the configure script (replacing `gnome-config' with
>> `'pkg-config') would help? As such, I have installed the gtk-devel,
>> libgnomeui packages (and am on SuSE 10.2).
>
> You probably need to install GNOME 1.4 desktop from a compatibility
> repository:
>
> ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/GNOME:/GNOME1/openSUSE_10.2/i586
>
> for gnome-config you need to install the package
>
> gnome-libs-devel
>
>> Also, in case it's not easy to override the dependancy on
>> gnome-config, then can you please tell me some alternative(s)? How
>> easy would it be, for a newbie, to port the API that makes use of the
>> newer *stuff* ?
>
> Well, it's quite a complicated work. What exact program are you talking
> about, probably we can help to port it to GNOME2 quickly.

Hi!
Many thanks for your prompt response.
The app I am trying to port is basically a software oscilloscope
library `gscope' that was written way back in 2001 - here's the link:
http://gscope.sourceforge.net/

As of now, I just (blatantly) substituted gnome-config (and
GNOME_CONFIG) with pkg-config (and PKG_CONFIG) throughout the
configure script, which gives the following:

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config
Package gnomeui was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gnomeui.pc'
No package 'gnomeui' found
Package gnomeui was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gnomeui.pc'
No package 'gnomeui' found

So, as per the advice on this link:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2005-July/011663.html
I changed
gnomeui to libgnomeui-2.0
in the configure script again.
This seemed to work, with the above 'No package' warnings vanished....
however, doing `make' is still unsuccessful and gives this error:
cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status gscopeconfig.h
Usage: ./config.status [--recheck] [--version] [--help]
make: *** [stamp-h1] Error 1

Could you please throw some light what should I try, now?

Thanks again!
Nitin