porting GdkFont

Hi everyone,
I am new to GTK programming, so pardon the simplicity of the request.
As of now, am porting an application to GTK+-2.0 mainly by rummaging
through http://library.gnome.org/devel/  and changing the code
accordingly.
However, now I am stuck as I can't find the UNdeprecated equivalent of
GdkFont and member functions.
Some *confusing* results seem to convey that it has moved to either
Pango or Cairo (or both), so could someone please confirm me the same
and also point to some link or give a short reference, which can make
the life of this porter, a tad easier!? :)

Thanks in advance,
Nitin