Re: Possible kde44 conflict breaking gnome - need help finding out

Around about 16/02/10 09:48, David C. Rankin typed ...
   I need your help figuring out what is killing my gnome 2.2 install on openSuSE
11.0 (x86_64).

This is just a random thought or two, I'm not professing to have any detailed clue about any of these low-level GNOME/KDE processes!

   Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.
   Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take
   effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g. KDE)
   settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME
   settings manager.

If this is not the root cause of all your woes, it's definitely the first thing to figure out. I personally wouldn't be worrying about /any/ of the other symptoms until this is running OK.

*Is* there another (KDE) settings thing running, somehow added to your login? I don't know what the KDE equivalent of g-s-d would be, but really from login (into a GNOME session) I would hope not to see any KDE processes (unless you're also starting KDE apps. at login).

  Try killing any KDE-like processes.

Also try starting gnome-sessions-daemon on the command line (it's in /usr/libexec on my Fedora box) to see if you get anything more (although all output should be in .xsession-errors). Maybe there's a debug flag in the thing (don't hold you breath on that, I've seen few GNOME apps. with debug flags, I think it tends to be more along the lines of environment-variable switches).

'Course, you could try (temporarily?) uninstalling all the kde44 packages to see if that helps, and them maybe try to selectively re-install them until stuff goes wrong.

--
[neil fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil fnx ~]# ls -l .signature