Re: Gnome3 Design "In the Open"

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
>> It seems odd - to put it kindly - to claim "virtually all"[1]
>> development of the gnome3 UI occurring on an unlogged IRC channel can
>> be considered "in the open"[1].
>
> Yes, it's a shame we don't have logging. Not something that is
> restricted to GNOME design I might add - we don't have it on any GNOME
> channels.

Good to note, though I don't want anyone to think I was implying a
conspiracy of some kind to keep the ui changes under wraps. Just that
IRC isn't a good place for devel, and log-less IRC even less so.

>> Not sure what can be done about this. Perhaps those who have spent
>> time idling in the channel could help piece together a history of the
>> development discussion? Perhaps a page could be added to the wiki to
>> help recreate lost discsussions, and those with logs could help
>> fill-in-the-blanks, so to speak.
>
> We do try and document as much as we can. The GNOME Shell design page
> [1] contains quite a thorough account, and the GNOME Shell design
> whiteboards are quite extensive [2]. There are also a few pages relating
> to system settings stuff too [3, 4].

I'll go through those, thanks for explicit links.

> If there are any specific decisions or issues that you would like to
> explore, feel free to contact me off-list. I'll do my best to point you
> in the right direction.

Nothing specific. I've been ungenerous - to put it kindly - in my
assessment of certain design decisions (ie., lid-close) and wanted to
try and learn more about what kinds of arguments / discussions
occurred before coming to the decisions.

>> Going forward, can a bot be setup to record discussions here?
>
> Good idea. I'm sure it'll have been discussed before...

Redhat has the meetbot, perhaps it could be tasked to a few key gnome
irc channel's? Key to be determined by informed folk etc.