Special directory handling

Hey everyone,

This is sort of cross posted, but not quite (I've read the rules!). I've raised the same issue from a different perspective in nautilus-list, as it may be applicable there. I'm not 100% sure.

What I'm looking for is a way (patch, plugin, gconf, etc) to allow directories with extensions to be handled differently. For example, a folder ending in ".bbb" will have a different icon, properties, and when 'executed' it will instead run an application inside the directory instead of opening it in whatever the file manager is.

Also sorry if this has been mentioned before, or is a noob question. I had a bit of a scrounge around and couldn't find much. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Keith