Re: configure the file chooser

On 10 May 2018 at 14:53, Stefan Klinger <mail gnome org stefan-klinger de> wrote:

Hi, few question that I could not find an answer for via Google or
Stack Overflow, nor via the provided Gnome documentation.  But I guess
you developers would know:

How can I configure the file chooser?

The general answer is: you don't. The file chooser is not an application.

GtkFileChooser does have a few settings, but are mostly for storing state.

  * Always open in a mode where I can paste a file name into a text
    field, or can start typing a path (with tab-completion)

    Currently (e.g., with GIMP 2.10.0) it always opens in Recently
    Used mode, so I have to switch to one of the other "Places" and
    then hit Ctrl-L.  I don't even want to hit Ctrl-L.

You can set the default location on open:

  gsettings set org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser startup-mode

'recent' will use the recently opened files; 'cwd' will use the current work directory of the process that launched the file chooser dialog.

If the application sets a location programmatically, the location will be preferred to either values.

  * When entering a path (Firefox), sometimes I see completion happen
    only when I hit Tab, and sometimes it just happens automatically
    (which is extremely annoying).  This behaviour seems to change
    "automatically".  At least I don't know how to fix this to
    complete only when I hit Tab.

Completion will happen if there's only one result; the Tab key is necessary if there's ambiguity.

  * When I change the File Chooser's window size, or toggle visibility
    of hidden files, please don't remember these settings.  I want
    them temporary.

That's not possible.

  * I cannot remove some entries from the "Places" list.  How can I
    change this?  Even better: Is there a way to show a nice file
    system tree instead of this "places" thing?

You can't change the Places, and you can't have a file system tree.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.