Re: GtkList widget and mouse buttons

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Shawn T . Amundson wrote:

> GtkCLists are much faster than GtkLists, especially for long
> lists, because you don't create 10,001 widgets to have 10,000
> items in the list.
It's a kind of a miracle for me that things that are more complex
(list of columns = CList) are faster than simpler ones (List).

In fact I use list_items in this way

   list_item   = gtk_list_item_new_with_label(MyString);
   gtk_widget_show(list_item);
   gtk_object_set_data(GTK_OBJECT(list_item), MyKey, MyStructure);

to get access to a complex structure by selecting a specific string.
A typical application uses 1 to 10 items.  Theoretically the number
of items isn't limited but in reality there will be no more than
hundred.  Selecting a list item causes time consuming things like
displaying a pixmap (the application is an image viewer and the
strings filenames).

Would you suggest to switch to GtkCList for this case?
Can you explain the 10,001 widgets to have 10,000 items more
detailed for a less sophisticated programmer like me?

I would like to use the "natural" widget for my purpose and
the changes I have to do now in process of switching to GTK+1.1
could cause in a change of the List -> CList if this is reasonable.

Thanks in advise

       Andreas.