Re: GtkList widget and mouse buttons

> Would you suggest to switch to GtkCList for this case?
> Can you explain the 10,001 widgets to have 10,000 items more
> detailed for a less sophisticated programmer like me?

The reason GtkList is slow is because you can put any type
of widget into it as a list item.  These children widgets are
in a large x-window which gets scrolled.  This is very flexible,
but is slow because creating a large number of widgets is a
significant time penalty.

In contrast, you can't put any widget into CList, only strings
and pixmaps.  Even if child widget support was added, you still
wouldn't need to make all children widgets like is necessary in
GtkList.  Thus, the amount of time spent talking to the X server
is much less.

> I would like to use the "natural" widget for my purpose and
> the changes I have to do now in process of switching to GTK+1.1
> could cause in a change of the List -> CList if this is reasonable.

Depends if you want flexibility and a small number of items or
speed for a large number.

--
Shawn T. Amundson
amundson@gimp.org               http://www.gimp.org/~amundson

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking