Re: GDate

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

> IMHO the MDY date format shouldn't be supported due to its
> ambiguousness from a worldwide perspective. But I expect to be shot
> down by the Americans on this issue... Also, the test for 1995/10/31
> should really test for 1995-10-31, which is the standard way of
> writing dates. Slashes aren't/shouldn't be used in the YMD date
> format.

By test, you mean in "testgdate"? The library itself is supposed to work
with any separator (it just looks for three numbers).

When you say not support MDY, you mean the written form is ambiguous,
right? The only place this is a problem is when parsing date strings,
when either MDY or YMD or some other ordering would all be valid
combinations. Ideally I could ask the locale which to prefer - maybe some
kind of parsing of strftime output? I'm not sure the date parsing function
is a good idea, it could get complicated.

> No problems here on Win32 (with MSC). (To be honest, I send this
> message before testgdate has finished, just two rows of dots so
> far... seems to be a very thorough test.)

Great - thanks! If you get through two rows of dots it's probably fine.
testgdate iterates over every day in 3000 years or so and performs a bunch
of tests on each day. It takes a long time to run. ;-)

Havoc