Re: Visual bug in gtk_widget_set_sensitive() / GtkOptionMenu

Tim> On 27 Nov 1998, Dave Cole wrote:
>> I have a group of inter-related widgets in my application.  User
>> interaction with other widgets can force changes to the option
>> menu.  With this sensitivity "feature", the order that I perform
>> updates to the option menu and items becomes critical.

Tim> hm, i'm actually not sure whether your approach is at all
Tim> correct.  it's certainly maningfull to disable certain menu items
Tim> for the option menu selection, but what happens if you set a menu
Tim> item to insensitive that is currently selected falls more or less
Tim> under "undefined behaviour". you might be better off to make sure
Tim> to reset the option menu into a valid state, i.e. select a new
Tim> sensitive menu item if the current one becomes insensitive, since
Tim> the current item shouldn't have been the selcted one in that case
Tim> anyways.  it would eventually make sense to integrate that
Tim> functionality into the option menu, though i guess that wouldn't
Tim> be flexible enough for most applications, and actually strikes me
Tim> as too much magic on the toolkit side.

You are of course correct.

When you have a web of inter-related widgets, it is a bit hard to
ensure that every user interface change causes the cascade of
callbacks to occur in the correct sequence.  It would be nice if
setting the active menu item (in)sensitive always worked, then if you
subsequently changed the active menu item programmatically, then that
would work too.

- Dave