Re: glib-1.3

I did have GQueue code in librepo for a long time when glib-1.2
was still HEAD, then as soon as glib-1.3 appeared I fixed things because
I did not anticipate that over a month later there would still not be
a 1.3 glib available.

I don't like to look backward, and even though I understand the problems
that arise from the use of development versions, they are not my problems--
they are GIMP and GTK and GNOME and Mozilla problems.  As things stand
now, I can contribute to glib but I cannot use my changes for up to 6
months later!  That is absolutely ridiculous (think "cathedral"--because
glib's false dependencies on GTK's development make it effectively that).
Why should I use glib if I cannot improve it and make use of the improvements?
Clearly someone should fix the problem (library dependencies) instead of
the current symtomatic relief which is causing me pain.  That is a task for
the automake and libtool groups, as far as I can tell.  If this situation
doesn't improve, I will just create a new library, rename it and its symbols
something else, and include it with all of my programs.  The problem will be
solved, but at what a cost.  Yes, I _can_ make an autoconf test for the
missing features in 1.2, but I've been having this problem for 1.5 years and
I'm tired of it making extra work for me.  Putting an autoconf test for
GQueue will only fix the problem until there's some new feature in glib-1.5
that I can't use until GTK-1.6 is released, and so on.

-josh

Quoting Miguel de Icaza (miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx):