Re: gdk_draw_bitmap?

Bernhard Herzog <herzog@online.de> writes:

> > I'll say that no feature patches have been added to GTK+-1.3 at this
> > point. Basically, there are major structural issues that need to be
> > resolved first, and we haven't had the time to get to them yet, so
> > more minor changes are being queued up for later work.
>
> Any chance to get the patch into 1.2.x?
>
> The presence of the declaration of gdk_draw_bitmap in gdk.h indicates
> IMO that the missing definition in gdkdraw.c is just an oversight in
> 1.2, and adding the function wouldn't introduce an incompatibility.

It wouldn't introduce backwards incompatibility, but it
would mean that we would have programs that would
only work with GTK+ 1.2.4 or higher. Which is something
we try to avoid. Feature creep forces users of a library to
keep continually upgrading.

> > The patch otherwise looked reasonable, and I see no
> > reason why it won't be applied.
>
> Good.
>
> While we're on the topic of bitmap funcions: Is there any particular
> reason why there's no equivalent to gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm, e.g.
> gdk_bitmap_create_from_xbm? It's not as if it were difficult to
> implement. Most the functionality is already present in Xlib.

Probably because nobody really has wanted it ... bitmaps
are usually small enough to inline. I don't tink there
is any fundemental reason why not.