Re: GtkSCText (was: Timescale issues)

>>>>> "Derek" == Derek Simkowiak <dereks@kd-dev.com> writes:

Derek>      Thomas, We're looking at redesigning/recoding the GtkText
Derek> widget.  I have some questions with regard to your GtkSCText
Derek> widget.

Derek> 1) Before the "GtkSCText" widget, were your GtkText patches
Derek> going into the main Gtk+ distibution?

Derek> 2) What new features does the automatically-generated GtkSCText
Derek> widget have?  Does it have horizontal scrolling?

Derek> 3) Do you know of any other people who have
Derek> patches/edited/changed the GtkText widget?

Derek> 	It seems like multiple people have made their own "personal"
Derek> patches to the GtkText widget.  I want to get a GtkText with
Derek> all the patches applied together so we know where we stand in
Derek> terms of functionality.

This is probably way off target, but why doesn't someone with the time
(and inclination) look at the guts of one of the semi-infinite numbers
of editors out there and factor out the text engine one which is
closest to what is required?

By talking to the developers of jed, vim, elvis (all of which have
syntax highlighting capability) we might find that it is easier to
factor out the text / display engine into a library than it is to
develop a new GtkText widget from scratch.

I sort of like the idea of having access to a text widget which has
more than simple display capabilities.  Program controlled editing
could be quite nice.

- Dave