Re: New 'GObject' as base for GtkObject?

Bill Huey <billh@burn.ucsd.edu> writes:
> > OK, I'm lost here. Java, as far as I know allows no
> > multiple-inheritance of implementation, while you are jumping through
> > large hoops to achieve multiple inheritance of data and member
> > functions.
>
> Java has interface inheritence as a means of dealing with MI issues.

Re-read: "Java allows no multiple inheritance of _implementation_"

That is, it only has interfaces, you can't have two non-interface base
classes.

> Knowning modern OO design *should* be important for the Gtk core folks
> and not knowing that Java has a semi-form MI is a little peculiar to
> say the least.

The core GTK folks know far more about OO design than you probably
think. They just have no patience with people who confuse OO syntactic
sugar with OO design.

> MI is fairly important would normally indictate to me that folks the don't
> know it's benifits haven't use a modern GUI in the 90's. That's just bad.

Java does not have multiple implementation inheritance. Is Java not a
modern '90s GUI language?

> Run time typing is powerful.

And GTK has it.

Havoc