Re: Plans for 1.3/1.4

*  from 'tml@iki.fi' on 'Feb 27 14:10 +0000' | sed '1,s/^/* /'

>Owen Taylor writes:
> >  4) Integration of Tor Lillqvist's Win32 port.
>
>Any ideas on how to organise the window-system specific versions of
>GDK in the source tree? Apparently CVS doesn't handle renaming of
>directories nicely, so it would be easiest to keep the current (X11)
>version in gtk+/gdk, and make a new directory gtk+/gdk-win32 for the
>Win32 version.

We (the GeTK team (GTK on BeOS)) think we can get away with adding new
files into gdk directory and modifying the headers (all chnages will
be wrapped with NATIVE_BEOS or whatever).

Ideally to limit the changes to source files all the header files
should resolves to the same place which tends to imply there can't be
any header files in gtk+/gdk-win32 ?

>In order to handle inclusions of <gdk/gdkx.h> and <gdk/gdkprivate.h>
>in various source files, I guess the gdkx.h and gdkprivate.h files
>would have to be still in the gdk (X11) directory, and contain also
>Win32 stuff. Hmm.
>
>Probably there should be a file gdkconfig.h (like glibconfig.h), that
>contains platform-specific definitions that should be available to
>application programs also, and not only while compiling gdk or gtk?

Agree, we haven't got that far with the GeTK port yet, but I'm
assuming there will need to be some changes to apps to run on Be (even
if its simply to change main to create a BApplication. So we need a
way for apps to work out which OS/implementation they are on.

We're working on a native Be implementation of GDK, but there may be
other people working on other implementations, so we're been using
NATIVE_BEOS as our wrapper (in Glib)

richard.