Re: Build error? (Was: Re: Compile error?)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Nils Barth wrote:

> Thus spake Nils Barth:
> > Thus spake Nils Barth:
> > > I'm having trouble compiling GTK.
> > > After compiling and installing CVS HEAD glib, I check out CVS HEAD
> > > gtk+, and autogen.sh dies with:
> > > ./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
> > > `AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0(1.3.1,,'
> > > ./configure: ./configure: line 4315: `  AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0(1.3.1,,'
> > >
> > > (or rather, it ends with:
> > > Now type 'make' to compile Gtk+.
> > > and then make has no targets and dies)
> > >
> > > How can I fix this?
>
> Okay, figured out the problem, kinda.
>
> Er, all I know about autoconf I learned in the past few minutes of
> reading the manual, but it seems the problem is:
> in ./aclocal.m4, there is no
> AC_DEFUN(AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0
> though there is a
> AC_DEFUN(AM_PATH_GLIB
>
> Note: I have been doing all my development in my home directory.
> Now, aclocal.m4 is generated from /usr/share/aclocal/*.m4 stuff,
> instead of $my_unstable/share/aclocal
> (where $my_unstable=/home/nbarth/work/software/unstable).
> However, I built/installed glib with:
> $ ./autogen.sh --prefix=$my_unstable
> and I tried building gtk+ (or pango -- same problem) with
> $ ./autogen.sh --prefix=$my_unstable
> and
> $ ./autogen.sh --prefix=$my_unstable --with-glib=$my_unstable
> and
> $ ./autogen.sh --prefix=$my_unstable --with-glib=$my_unstable\
>   --with-glib-2_0=$my_unstable
> (and combinations thereof), making sure to delete aclocal.m4 and
> config.cache between attempts.
> Still no good.

you miss aclocal.

> So:
> (0) Would a fix simply involve having aclocal.m4 generated from
> $my_unstable/share/aclocal?
> (1) Would it be better for me to just dump prefixes and install
> glib-2.0 (and fribidi, and pango, and gtk+-2.0) as root?
> These don't conflict with [glib,gtk+]-1.2 anymore, right?
> (2) If I just want to do GTK+ development, is it okay to use the RPMs
> of glib, fribidi, and pango (from the pango site), or do I need to
> keep up-to-date with CVS glib (and pango)?

always use CVS, sometimes we have rather intimidating dependencies ;)
ok, in short, here's how i compile the tree. you cvs co glib, pango
and gtk+. also make sure you have the recent fribidi, and check that
it's configure.in actually uses AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0() (there might even
be a patch for this somewhere on the pango site, as is the fribidi
tarball itself).

set up variables for aclocal search paths and to catch glib-config-2.0
$ export PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin ACLOCAL_FLAGS=-I\ /opt/share/aclocal
then, in each of glib/, fribidi/, pango/ and gtk+/ (in that order),
you do:
$ rm -f config.cache && ./autogen.sh --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-static --enable-debug=yes --prefix=/opt && make
$ make install

of that, only make install needs to be done as root.
also it doesn't hurt to invoke ldconfig after make install,
in case the shared library version numbers changed.

> --
>   -nils
> Public key: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~nbarth/pub-key.txt

---