Re: Preliminary submenu patch

Re: Submenu patch

Thanks for the detailed comments! Now I'm just elbow-grease away from
it working Right.

Sorry to have not fixed it up; I've been kinda busy lately.
I'll be out of the country for the next 6 weeks (back Aug 15), and
will not be able to work on it in the meantime, nor answer mail.
I plan to fix it when I get back (should just be reshuffling some
code), but if anyone is impatient, they're welcome to it -- basically
take the patch, move the code into gtkmenuitem.[ch] (maybe just .c!),
add a gtk_grab_add (), and put the handlers in gtk_menuitem_[motion,
enter, leave] (and keypress...).
...though unless this issue is pressing, I wouldn't inflict my half-baked
(and poorly laid out) code on anyone.

-----------------------

Seperate thought:

Over long menus (which go off the screen), and menu bars with more
entries than fit in a window (2 items on the TO-DO list) are basically
the same problem: too many items to fit.

This suggests that it could be fixed in gtkmenushell using the same
technique for both. This would have the added advantage of adding
consistency to the GUI.

What seems to be the best solution for both is to have the menu scroll
when one gets to the end/edge of it, and to have arrows at the end
which will scroll.

If this sparks anyone's interest, yay! Else I'll likely get to it
after fixing navigation.

--
  -nils
Public key: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~nbarth/pub-key.txt