Re: Gtk{Tree,List} replacement proposal

Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com> writes:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@eazel.com> writes:
>
> > gtk_tlview_column_set_visible => gtk_tlview_set_column_visible
> >
> > Rationale: this operates on the GtkTLView type, not GtkTLViewColumn (a
> > type that exists but is internal),
> >
> > gtk_tlview_column_get_visible       => gtk_tlview_get_column_visible
> > gtk_tlview_column_set_type          => gtk_tlview_set_column_type
> > gtk_tlview_column_get_type          => gtk_tlview_get_column_type
> > gtk_tlview_columns_autosize         => gtk_tlview_autosize_columns
> > gtk_tlview_column_set_title_active  => gtk_tlview_set_column_title_active
> > gtk_tlview_column_set_widget        => gtk_tlview_set_column_widget
> > gtk_tlview_column_get_widget        => gtk_tlview_get_column_widget
> > gtk_tlveiw_column_set_justification => gtk_tlview_set_column_justification
> > gtk_tlveiw_column_get_justification => gtk_tlview_get_column_justification
>
> [...]
>
> > gtk_tlview_selection_set_type => gtk_tlview_set_selection_type
>
> I agree for set_selection_type(), but I don't agree for
> the column functions. The reason is the correspondence of
> gtk_foo_set_bar() with the GtkFoo::bar object argument.
> gtk_tlview_get_column_type() may read smoother, but
> gtk_tlview_column_set_type() makes it clearer that it is operates
> on the type of a single column.
>
> (You could think of GtkTLViewColumn being defined as a (GtkTLView
> *view, gint column) pair.)

I'm amazed that you are less interested in preserving existing Gtk+
(type_verb_phrase) naming convention than I am, but in light of that,
it's hard to argue. I do think gtk_tlview_column_foo is less clear,
and more unambiguously so for operations other than get_whatever and
set_whatever (I think I recall there being at least one).

I think the fact that these functions don't correspond to Gtk object
arguments will be clear just from the number of arguments.

 - Maciej