Re: gdk-pixbuf and multi-page images

La plume légère, à Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 07:13:41PM -0400, heure d'inpiration,
Havoc Pennington écrivait en ces mots:
> gdk-pixbuf as currently released can't break source or binary
> compatibility. The gdk-pixbuf now in GTK 2.0 can break source/binary
> compatibility for the next few weeks maybe, but not after that; this
> one in GTK 2.0 will be the frozen one for GNOME 2.0. So in effect,
> even if a gdk-pixbuf numbered 1.0 exists, it has to be source/binary
> compatible with the gdk-pixbuf that came out with GNOME 1.2. If it
> isn't, 1.0 will not be part of the GNOME platform ever.
>
> Anyway, in effect, the answer to your question is, "this support will
> go in if we get patches to GTK HEAD within the next couple weeks."
> I don't know of anyone currently planning to implement it.

So if I understand correctly, I could patch gtk-pixbuf/GTK-cvs-version for
multi-page support and have those patches included for GTK 2 ?
(english is still an issue for me since it is not my native language)

> We can add new image loaders such as tiff-f I guess without breaking
> compatibility, if someone wants to write those at a later time maybe
> they could go in.

I have an in-house loader for this (independent from gdk-pixbuf for the moment)
but it does take multi-page tiffs into account.

Another issue is how to handle bitmaps since TIFF G3 images are inherently
monochrome images. There are two options:
- convert the bitmap to an 8 bit pixbuf (what is the correct way to do this?)
  personnally I don't like this option either because it would lead to have
  a monochrome image to take nearly 2Mb of memory vs 256Kb.
- have bitmap support in gdkpixbuf.

I can get a bitmap to display correctly when uising as the mask of the GtkPixmap,
but what is the correct way to paint a pixmap/bitmap-mask combination onto a new
pixmap ?

I saw your explanations using the clipmask a couple of weeks ago, but I never
managed to get this to work. Moreover you mentionned the creation of a double
bitmap, which I didn't understand the reason of. (FYI, this was an email
you sent in an answer to a guy who wanted to know how to display bitmaps).

Wolfgang
--
A chicken is an egg's way of producing more eggs.