GDKDrawablePrivate -WTF?!

Scott Marks writes:
 > Looking at linux-fb, nanox, win32 and X11, it appears that only X11 has no
 > lingering references to GdkDrawablePrivate, and that the struct itself is no
 > longer declared anywhere.  Am I right about this?

As for the Win32 port, I have lately concentrated on getting Pango to
work, as the current GTK+ needs Pango anyway. Now with Pango working
on Win32 (at least an initial, non-optimised implementation), changing
the Win32 backend to correspond to the changes in the GDK data
structures / objects etc so that the files compile again will be
pretty straightforward. A few hours of more or less mechanical
editing, probably.

However, more effort will be needed to get the backing store stuff
working. Before the data structure changes, when only the no-flicker
branch had been merged in with the HEAD branch, the Win32 backend did
compile. But, unfortunately it didn't work properly. I didn't have
time to debug it then, and I just disabled the backing store on Win32
(USE_BACKING_STORE in gdk/gdkwindow.c). (Actually, that was Hans
Breuer's idea.)

 > It appears that this is a pretty significant architecture change
 > which the "ports" have not yet tracked, yes?  So, (1) is this all
 > written down somewhere, and (2) what could I do to contribute to
 > the win32 port?

Well, it might be significant from a data structure architecture point
of view, but it doesn't affect the what the code actually does in its
interface with the windowing system. For me what will be more
difficult is to get the stuff related to 32-bit subwindow coordinates,
backing store etc working.

About contributing to the Win32 port, we can discuss that one2one
(just got your email, tnx).

--tml