Re: becoming embebbed

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Chang Woo Lee(Ultracat) wrote:

> Yes it is true, GTK is so "BIG".
> Size is very very important fact.
> if Some windows, lib and Toolkit's size is 10MB, this system need 10MB FlashRom and 10MB Main memory.
> actually, 20MB is needed..
> but.. GTK's size is.. hundreds of MB... it is so BIG..

Might be overstating things a little here. On my PC gtk+, gdk and glib
libraries add up to just under 2Mb, OK so that's 4Mb of Yopy's memory
taken up. Agreed that GTK needs to be a little smaller - but having it
on an embedded device would give you access to so many great GPL'd
applications it would be worth the memory hit. After all - how many
W-toolkit programs are out there?

BTW - if people want to get an embedded GTK thing going would it be
possible to get a mailing list set up for it so we can discuss what
platform we want to port to and actually start coding?

Jamie