Re: 1.2 theme properties / 2.0 default theme

Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 04:06:40AM -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
>
> >> The default theme needs to be:
>
> >>  - Lightweight enough to work well over networks
> >>  - Plain enough to stick around for years and not get tiresome
> >>  - Somewhat distinctive (a GTK+ look), yet comfortable for people
> >>    coming from other environments.
> >>  - Attract`ive
>
> >> A tall order...
>
> > I think the current Gtk+ default may be a bit too much on the plain
> > side. The MacOS "platinum" look is definitely a bit more flashy and
> > seems to have withstood the test of time (OTOH the "aqua" look is
> > flashy to the point of unusability).
>
> I generally like the platinum look, although I think perhaps Arlo's mockups
> are quite a bit too Mac-like. Engine or no engine, drawing gradients is going
> to be slow over networked X, and gradients add little or nothing to usability
> (they're attractive, but I don't think the mockups would look very much worse
> if they were flattened out).

Maybe the problem of gradients could be lessened if they were used
sparingly (maybe just for buttons)? I have a nice gradient theme engine
in the works if gradients themes are being considered.

To Owen:
One nice thing about the platinum ui you might want incorperate, is the
way it effectively draws attention to active widgets by drawing them in
a 3d style in contrast to inactive widgets which are drawn in a flat
style.

Also from this shot:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/HIGOS8Guide/graphics/HIG_W-007.gif

I get the impression they use the technique further to draw attention to
the active window. This might also make the desktop look less cluttered.
I'm not sure if you want to incorperate this though, as it might be a
more controversial feature.

Mark